Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Amish Country Classic Ride

Saturday September 9, 2017

Al L, Rich B and I decided a while back to skip the Lancaster Covered Bridge Ride and attend the Amish County Classic.  The ride is still in Lancaster but in a different area of the county.

 

It was a very early morning as we decided to drive up to the event the day of.  There was no mass start so it made that decision a lot easier although we were one of the last to start the ride.  We decided to do the metric and started at 8:45 AM.

It was a chilly start.....53 degrees!  For a Floridian like me that's really cold!  However the scenery and the ride were definitely worth the trip.  It made me wish for a simpler life and wishing I could actually do it but I know myself and know at this point in my life it's not possible.

 Look next to the second car...it's a horse and buggy 


A better photo of the buggy w Rich B in the forefront in his cycling gear.  What a contrast!


The first part of the ride was rolling hills and lots of farmland.  It has a different look that the farmlands in the Millstone area or Hunterdon County.   We were lucky enough to see one covered bridge.

The Conestoga Covered Bridge

 
We knew that there was one tough climb ( Welsh Mountain) at mile 20 but we really had no clue how hard that climb would be.  It was a one mile 444 ft climb and very tough with grades of 10-14%. 
 
 The rest stop at the top of Welsh Mountain

What is this food item?? Laura OLPH should know this one
It's a Whoopie Pie!  Chocolate cake with marshmallow creme in the center.


Rich B loves these things and I happily gave him any that were suppose to be mine.  I think at last count at the end of the ride he had six!!!  I was very happy to pass on these although I ate one small piece to keep Rich happy and experience part of the Lancaster culture.

From the left...Rich B, Al L and me.  We made it!!!

This was at the top of the climb and I was glad it was over.  I wish I would have been able to take a photo on the decent.  It was one of the most beautiful views of the countryside I have ever seen.  I was at 36 + mph and didn't want to hit the brakes on that decent for a photo.

 The rest of the ride was rolling hills.  Here is one of the small churches I saw along the way.

If you zoom in on the photo you will see that this is an Amish Mennonite Church


Unfortunately at mile 30 Al L went down after going over some potholes.  He was hurt but decided to try and finish the ride.  At mile 46 at the last rest stop he abandoned because of his knee was locking up.  I decided ( happily I might add because the headwinds were strong) to go back with him in the SAG to the EMT's.  Al decided he was well enough to not go to the emergency room and go home with us.  He is still very very sore today....Sunday...so drop him a note and wish him a speedy recovery.
 
Rich B finished the ride and met us back at the end of the ride.  He saw two more covered bridges on the last 18 miles.  Oh well.....maybe next time.



 





No comments:

Post a Comment