Monday, April 1, 2019

A Short Trip to Miami and Boca Raton

April 1, 2019

I was able to get away for an overnight to the east coast of Florida to ride with Al P and his riding group there.

I arrived at Al's house in Miami in the afternoon and was able to get a nice view from his winter home.


The view you are looking at is the inter-coastal waterway in Miami.  It's not to hard to get use to loving that view.   During my visit I saw skullers ( rowing boats ) in the waterway as there is a training center near Al's house.   

Al also had taken a photo earlier in the week showing a privately owned boat coming through the drawbridge.


Yes an individual owns this boat and not a corporation.  The boat was so big it almost didn't make it through the drawbridge!  ( Picture courtesy of Al )



The next morning we left at 6 AM to meet his riding buddies in Boca Raton which was a 45 minute drive on I 95.  I thought to myself that this group must be really special to drive that far each week to ride with them and deal with the crazy commuting traffic on I 95!  It was a white knuckle drive for me!  I can attest that the drive was well worth it.  The group was so friendly.  One of the members , Irwin, is 82 yrs old and can lead the pace line the whole ride at amazing speeds.  He took it easy on me being a guest, though.   He is an inspiration!


 Irwin is first person on the right.  The jersey say Old Spokes still riding.  Cute.



We ended up with 40 miles ( from Boca Raton to Lake Worth ) and some very scenic areas of expensive homes except for Briny Breezes. Briny Breezes is a small area of trailer homes on the Atlantic that Marriott wanted to buy for $1M per home but the residents turned it downed!

Most of the group went out for lunch after the ride.  It was a nice way to end the ride before heading back home..

Thank you Al ( and his wife Marion)  for being such great hosts and also the Boca Raton Cycling Club for providing friendship and a very spirited ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment