Saturday, May 30, 2015

Delnor Wiggins State Prak

Friday May 29th

I decided to take the day off from cycling and the house and go to Delnor Wiggins State Park for a beach day and to explore the park to see what it offered.  Since it is a state park there was an entrance fee that my Collier County Beach pass did not cover.  However, for those who hold Golden Senior Passes, you can get in for free.

What was the curiosity that led me to this park you might ask.  It was a rating in USA Today a few days ago.  It was the rating of the best beaches in the USA was according to Dr. Beach...who ever that is.


http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2015/05/21/dr-beach-top-10-beaches/27718725/



I had heard that this park was popular so I was there by 9:30 AM forgetting that the season is over and most of the snowbirds have gone back north or to the mid-west. No line at the ranger station and the first parking lot was pretty empty.  There are five parking lots in this park and overflow lots within walking distance outside of the park.  I picked the right day!  The beach was much more quiet than I had expected but it was none the less full of interesting sites.

The beach was a narrow strand and some areas had shells which made it hard to walk on the sand sometimes.  However most of the beach was fine sand ....the same that you would find in NJ so it warranted a walk once I got settled.

It was a perfect day for the beach.  The sun was not extremely hot and the humidity was low.  I put up the  umbrella although it really wasn't necessary. I did swim in the Gulf as it was calm and warm and easy to just walk in until you were covered in water.  In fact there were some type of fish swimming on the shoreline which made it kinda creepy for me as I don't like to share my swimming water with sea creatures.....at least visible ones.   Yes I know that they are there but out of sight out of mind!

 I decided to check out what this beach had to offer that others did not.  

A sea turtle nesting area protected by the park.

Many of the alcoves had picnic tables and grills to have a BBQ on the beach!

Bird nesting area also protected by the park.

About a mile up the beach is Wiggins Pass. I really didn't understand that this was a separate area from the park since it seemed like it belonged.   I had no idea what I was in for when I arrived here.

Kayakers

There were also boats that came in and out of Wiggins Pass.  There is a boat lane and in the distance sophisticated radar for boats to steer out of this channel if they had radar on board.   However there was one thing that wasn't there.....swimmers......

 and rip currents.  These currents are often found in this area so the park installed a permanent sign.

I headed back towards my beach chair and found some other interesting things along the way.





You can always find a billboard talking about all the wildlife to be found in the area whether it be birds or creepy crawly things.

It was a very enjoyable morning on this beach.   I would consider going back again.  However, since Barefoot Beach is #2 on the list...and my beach pass gets me in....I would opt for Barefoot Beach in the future.








 





No comments:

Post a Comment