Saturday, September 26, 2015

The Birthday Ride

September 26th, 2015

Today was my birthday...and a milestone one at that....60 yrs old.  I decided it was time to do a 60 mile ride for 60 years of age. Since I like the hills Joe M. found an old route of mine and tweeked it a bit due to current poor road conditions or closed roads.  Thank you Joe!

The day was cloudy and windy and I never really warmed up the entire ride.  That's unusual.  Thanks to Ron S. for arm warmers he gave me a few weeks ago. We met at my house and Joe M. brought a little gift from Edie and himself.  Laura rode up with Jim B and also had a nice gift of bling for me.  Thank you all for that. 

We left right around 9 AM as planned and rode to Sergentsville to our first rest stop.  Once on the road again we headed back to ride over the Sourlands on our way back home before we stopped for a second rest stop and then back to my house to finish the ride.

The gang on the ride today.....minus Tom H..

We celebrated with a ice cream cake and it was the end to a great ride!  Thanks to everyone who made my day special.


So what about these 60 years.  Cycling has been a big part of my life the last 18 years of them.  It has taught me self-confidence and helped me to meet some very wonderful people along the way.  It has given me a reason to travel to Europe as well as to many national parks and other US cities to explore.  It doesn't get any better than that.  

Thanks to everyone who has encouraged me over the years to keep riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment