Sunday, July 3, 2016

My First Ride in July in Florida

Sunday July 3rd, 2016

Hard to believe I have been in Florida for almost two years and this is the first time I have rode in July.  Now I know why I stayed in NJ last summer....and rode a lot.  It's hot in Florida in July!
 
Today was the most brutally hot ride I have done so far while living in Florida.  At 7 AM it was already 79 degrees with a heat index in the 90's!  We had headwind going out, although not too bad, and headwind coming back which was strong and more than predicted by the weather people.  By the time I was done with the ride I was done period.  It's now evening and after resting today my legs still hurt.

There was a charity ride today for a 38 year old veterinarian who was struck by a car in Majorca, Spain and remains in a coma after a month.  The doctors there say she will eventually be ok and now that she is stable her family will have her medivac'd back to the states for further treatment.  The cost of the flight is $80,000 and the ride today....only 8 miles...was to raise money to pay for the flight. Even though I didn't do the charity ride I wanted to contribute to the cause.  there  I ran into one of the strong riders that I usually ride with on Saturday who also rode today, Sunday, and even he was beat from riding a regular group ride before this charity ride.  He came back to the start and didn't finish the charity ride.  It made me feel better that is was not just me.





I keep asking myself......why did I move to Florida?   I will be able to answer that question when the winter months arrive and there is snow in NJ!!

No comments:

Post a Comment