Thursday, March 12, 2015

The Ride to Chokoloskee for Havana Coffee

March 9, 2015

Since all the NJ folks have headed back home it was just Matt and I for a non-PFW ride to Everglades City and Chokoloskee.  We left from Matt's house and headed south of Rt 41 towards Everglades City.

OMG.  Now I know what Bruce was talking about when he was complaining of the speed bumps and reflectors in the shoulder of the road.  It was pretty dangerous and my brains were jumbled by the time we got to the turn.  I was glad to be off of that road!

We headed right to Chokoloskee this time as Matt now knows my love of coffee.   Here are some photos from the Havana Cafe



 And finally......

It was worth it!  Cafe con leche.   Al Porter turned me on to this in Key Biscayne


We had breakfast/lunch ( thank you Matt for buying) and then saddled up for our ride back to Isle of Palms where Matt lives.

On the way back Matt said that there were many alligators in the canal along Rt 41 North so we did a little alligator hunting.  It was not hard to find the hundreds of gators lining that waterway. 


Look in the distance.  That is me with the gator to the left.  He was a big one!


The Everglades City Chamber of Commerce

My riding buddy....Matt

On the way back we passed Fakahatchee Boardwalk at the Fakahatchee Strand Preserve. Here is a link with more information.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Fakahatchee-Strand


Bob Smith had mentioned a ride to this location so Matt and I took a detour and walked and rode our bikes on the boardwalk.  It reminded me of Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary.

 Some sights from our detour.






It was worth the stop by bike or by car.  






No comments:

Post a Comment