Thursday, June 16, 2016

Cape Cod, Salem and Boston

Monday through Thursday 6/13 through 6/16

I left NJ on Sunday to visit my snowbird neighbor Debby and her husband Art in Cape Cod who graciously invited the two dogs and I to come for a visit. 

On Monday Debby took me for a drive around East Falmouth, Woods Hole and Falmouth.  We had lunch and walked  about 4 miles on the Shining Sea Bikeway.  It's an old rail to trail pathway extending from Woods Hole to North Falmouth which is 10.7 miles one way.  I plan to take my bike and ride the trail on Friday.

http://www.capecodbikeguide.com/shiningsea.asp



I couldn't help getting a photo taken of me at one of the pathway entrances


Someone had this on the entrance way to their home from the trail





On Tuesday we headed for Salem, MA and my friend Debby's 55th nurses reunion which was held at the Danvers Yacht club.  We stayed in Salem, which is the next town over, at the Hawthorne Hotel near the pedestrian mall



http://www.hawthornehotel.com/

It was a stunning hotel and I was happy to have the opportunity to stay there.



Here is where we had lunch in Salem....Live Life Alive. ( the name of the restaurant)  It was a vegetarian restaurant and very tasty.  I would highly recommend this place if you ever visit Salem.



Some views on the pedestrian mall






Salem is definitely a strange place.  The now call witches....wickers....which is another name for holistic people who practice witchcraft there.  

We had dinner at the Danvers Yacht Club. 



Some people have a lot of disposable income!



On Wednesday we went to Boston.  What I didn't realize is that we were taking a ferry.  I also didn't realize how much the Boston area uses ferry boats to get around the suburbs and to get into the city.





I saw Marblehead ( home of Tyler Hamilton) from the waterway as well as Logan airport.  I learned a lot this trip.  I didn't know that Logan airport runways are surrounded by water.  We watched many planes land and take off from Logan while cruising on the ferry.




The Boston skyline


Another shot of the Boston skyline

 



We arrived in Boston Harbor in about an hour and hopped on a trolley to tour the city.  For a Wednesday the city was packed.  It was hard getting any photos due to the traffic blocking the sites.

Included in our tour was a harbor cruise to see the USS Constitution which is currently in dry dock.


 The three masts in the back are the USS Constitution

 It was a great trip to Boston....a perfect weather day.....and very nice company with seven of the nurses including Debby attending this event!  We drove back to East Falmouth in the evening and it was great to be back to home base.


On Thursday we headed up to the Cape Cod National Seashore National Park. 





I seem to be on a National Park streak this year!

We hiked a short hike...the Nauset Trail....which took us around marshland and gave us a view of the Fort Hill area.    We stopped back at the visitor's center to see if we could discover more of the park.  There was a free access beach area...Head of the Meadow Beach......so we headed up the road towards Provincetown to find this beach.



It was a great suggestion as we had lunch on the beach watching the Atlantic Ocean.  The tide was low and the water was cold but I stuck my feet in the water just to confirm that I much prefer the Gulf of Mexico and its' warmer water.




You can see it's low tide.  What's interesting about the flags on the lifeguard stand?  One is green which means it's safe to swim and the other one is a shark flag.  I asked the National Park guard what it meant.  Surprise surprise.  It's for shark sightings.  This year they have decided to post it every day to keep swimmer's aware of sharks in the area.  It's the seals that bring the sharks near the beach and interestingly enough.....we saw a seal swimming in the distance.  Glad I didn't stick more than my feet in that water!!!

On our way home there was another part of the park that the ranger recommended we visit.  It was Fort Hill.  She said the view was beautiful and it was!




This photo doesn't do it justice.  It was a beautiful view of the marsh on top of the hill.  Surrounding the area of the water were million dollar houses with their yachts right in front or along side the house.  It was the marsh and not the houses that made this worth the stop.

So much to do in Cape Cod and I have just scratched the surface.    I guess you can tell I am having a great time!




No comments:

Post a Comment