Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A Surprising Day

September 23 2014

I was bummed this morning when I walked the dogs because what I thought was going to be a beach morning turned out not to be.  It was cloudy and there was intermittent rain so the beach was not to be....or so I thought.

I decided to get my FREE coffee at McDonald's ( until September 29th...at least in this area) and drive to the closest beach for a walk.  Of course when I got to the beach area it started to rain.  However, it was a light rain so I decided to explore Barefoot Beach which is also a nature preserve surrounded by yet again million dollar houses.

Barefoot Beach Preserve has a nature preserve and a beach all in one....like Island Beach State Park.  There is a parking lot as soon as you enter the beach access where sunbathers can get right on the beach but I decided to continue along the road that goes through the million dollar house display and out to the gate house at the end of the island.  So glad I did that.  Barefoot Beach is actually located on Old Hickory Island.

Once through the gate house nature comes alive with gopher turtles and manatees among other wildlife.  I wasn't lucky enough to see either a turtle or manatee but I did get some photos of some cool signs depicting the wildlife that resides in the preserve.
The entrance to the first parking lot. 

Be careful.


Their home





The entrance to the beach.  It's similar to Island Beach State Park as it has a boardwalk entry to the beach with lots of surrounding plants.

Of course....the beach


The cacti garden which is located next to a learning center pavillion

The manatee area.  I got out of the car but there was a gate across the access.  Darn....sure would have liked to have seen one!





A full description of what you can find at the preserve







and or course....the homes

What started out as a disappointing day turned into a great day of discovery.  Thank goodness for coffee runs!



No comments:

Post a Comment