Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Charity Ride for Fallen Cyclists

September 1, 2014


Today there is a charity ride for two cyclists from the Velo Naples club...one with brain injuries that are requiring rehab.  The ride will help with medical expenses.

Some of the riders are the same from the Saturday TREK Naples store ride.  The ride started at 7 AM again.  Ugh....that means another early morning for me but it's worth it to help out a fellow rider who has been injured.  Didn't get much other information on the injured riders but I was glad to be part of the event.

The route today is two separate loops.  One comes out and back to the ride start at 22 mph and then continues in the other direction and back to make a 40 mile route.

The ride was fast but the two ride leaders for this pace....17 to  20 mph....are great.  Peter and Mario keep the pace line intact in the bike lane and call out safe riding tips as we stay in the paceline.  When riding in Florida in a group there is always a paceline.

On the second loop I encounter and tackle my first Florida hill.....the Estero Parkway bridge.   The group is much stronger than I am at this point....hey....it's the last 10 miles by this point and my legs are tired.   Another rider, Tamara, gets dropped as well and we decide to ride back together.  She rode the entire ride without water!   Not because she wanted to but forgot her water bottles and didn't want to miss the ride.   Too bad I didn't know that at the beginning of the ride as I always have a spare water bottle...empty of course....but very easily filled with water......and I would have gave it to her to borrow.  She knows to look for me the next time we ride together and she forgets her water bottles.   Amazing that she could keep up with the group without water for 40 miles!

The end of the ride brings up back to a breakfast burrito and drinks at Moe's.  I was happy to have food at the end of the ride.  Some people were even having beer!  Hey.....10 AM in Florida is like 2 PM in NJ.  The ride is finished and it's time to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment