Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Flat Tire

September 17, 2014



Well I knew it was going to happen one of these days.  Today was the day.  It was raining when I left the house this morning at 7 AM for the 7:30 AM ride and I took the wrong road to get to the start of the ride.  Two strikes down and one more BIG one to go.

I didn't think the ride was going to happen so I stopped to browse in Lowe's.  I was only in there ten minutes and of course the sun was coming out and drying the roads. OMG.  I still have ten minutes to make the ride and with the ride start being about five minutes away......I thought...why not....I can still make it.  When I got to the parking lot at 7:25 AM Team Estrogen of TREK was in the parking lot.  Three women and one guy.  Sorry Uri ( they only guy) ....you have now just joined Team Estrogen for the morning.   I talked with the leader, Karen, who I considered The Marine Drill Sargent and asked." Is there a ride today?"  She barked back....."Why not?"   Because of wet roads and myresponse was...."It's only water!"  So off we went to FGCU ( Florida Gulf Coast University) for a ride through the campus and back to the start ( It made me think of the time Laura took us through the Princeton University campus)   It was an easy ride.  The pace was way below the advertised pace..16.mph vs the 22-24 mph advertised.  Now when does that happen?    Saturday's ride group was bigger and the pace more consistent.


Karen had a flat in the first three miles.   She is a pro at changing flats and a back tire to boot!  We were back on the road in about seven minutes and the rest of the ride was uneventful except for that darn Florida hill ( the bridge) on Estero Parkway. I stayed with the group on the first ride over but got dropped on the way back.  I need to work on short climbs since that is all that I will be doing in Florida.

We came back to the parking lot with only 22 miles.   Ugh.....I got up at 5:30 AM for 22 miles I thought to myself.  NOT.  I am going to do extra miles.  So I said my goodbyes to the group ( I should have asked if anyone wanted  to go with me...duh) and off I went solo.   They were roads I have been on before so I wasn't worried about getting lost.  I was just about at the turn around point and I felt that I was bouncing on the bike.  Rut row....my tire was going flat.  Six miles from the start and not a soul around to change the flat.  I thought about walking but it was getting hot and it would take me a LONG time to walk back.   I called my neighbor who graciously came out to pick me up even though she was flying back to Manhattan this afternoon.  I did see one cyclist but the neighbor was already on her way so I didn't even ask for help.   I started walking and within  fifteen minutes I was happy to hear my phone ring and see my neighbor Marci approaching right behind me.  Thank goodness for great neighbors!

Once back at the ride start I went in to the TREK store to have the tire changed.  The Drill Sargent was there and I was fully expecting a lecture on why I didn't know how to change a flat.  She was gracious ( after all....she is the manager of the store and this flat tire increased her daily sales)  and informed me of a free clinic each month on tire changing.  WHERE DO I SIGN UP!  It's on my calendar to attend this class the first Thursday in October.  It will be very expensive not to mention nerve racking if I don't get on the bandwagon and learn how to change a flat..

Another Day In Paradise( A DIP) ......well almost.   Three strikes and I should be done for the day with a bit of bad luck.   Here's hoping that the flat tires will hold off until October's training!

1 comment:

  1. Changing a tube is easy. It gets easier each time you do it. Practice on Al's bike. I'm sure he won't mind.

    ReplyDelete