Monday, September 22, 2014

The Ride that Almost Wasn't

September 20, 2014

I woke up thinking I was going to ride with the group out of the TREK Naples store.  However when I looked at the weather I decided that it was not worth the risk.  STRONG thunderstorms...85% probably....even the radar map agreed on weather.com so I heeded the warning    After walking the dogs I looked at the weather again....just 10 minutes....and the weather had completely changed and the day was going to be ok for riding.   Only problem was that it was too late to get to the ride.

I decided to try and catch the group as they crossed Bonita Beach Road and Imperial Parkway which is about 5 miles from my house. They always go to Panera's at Coconut Point and there was a good chance that I could meet up with them along the way.

Off I went and when I got to that intersection there was not a rider in site.  Do I wait or did I miss them?  I decided to continue to ride on the normal route and if I didn't meet them on the road I would certainly catch them at Panera's. Worst case scenario would be that I would be doing the ride solo. Lo and behold....one lone rider with a Trek jersey.  Most of the group does ride wearing that jersey.  He rode up to me and I recognized him immediately but didn't know his name.  I learned later that  his name was John and that he had a flat and told the group to go ahead and he would catch up.  Only problem was that I had not seen the group.  Where did they go?   John and I were not far from Panera's and thought for certain that we would meet the rest of the riders at Panera's.  There were at least 10 other riders according to John.

We arrived at Panera's and no riders.  What gives?   We never did find out what happen to them.  Joh said they talked about doing more miles.   Maybe they rode up to the airport which is another common ride that the group does at times.  It rained very briefly at Panera's and we decided to leave to avoid the rain but we were soon out of it....within a mile or two.... and the roads were dry.

We never did run into the group so we decided to ride at a moderate pace....he could certainly ride faster....but was gracious and said he would ride at any pace I wanted.   It gave us a chance to get to know each other a little bit more.  He is originally from Tennessee and he visited his parents here three years ago and decided to move his wife and himself here.  He had a Garmin that had a GPS function that when his wife logged into some Garmin account...she could find him.  That can be good or that could be bad.   It's amazing what technology has given us......no privacy....but definitely safety.

John and I decided to get in a pace line and I rode back with him for another 5 miles before I decided it was time to turn around and head home.  I ended the day with 44 miles and knowing a little bit more about one of the regulars.

What I learned from all is this.....is that indecision is not a good thing.   In the future I am going to the ride start.....even if it's raining.  It can be raining at home and just 3 miles away the sun could be shining.


No comments:

Post a Comment